This weekend I had some time to do something for me, and I spent that time putting the finishing touches on my bed. I showed you the quilt (in terrible lighting) a few weeks ago–now you can see, too, that we’ve hung up a print we received for Christmas above the bed, and I made some pillows to complete the ensemble. I am so much happier with this bedroom now. It’s colorful and cheery, and doesn’t seem beige and bland at all!
They were made from a pattern I sketched out on notebook paper–three simple rectangles patched together for the front, and two overlapping rectangles for the back. Each back rectangle featured a hemmed edge (so they overlap cleanly) and the two pieces were pinned to the front section, once it was sewed together. A few minutes later, voila–pillow covers. The fabric was in my stash–remnants from the quilt itself. The brown linen you can see was strips and sashing; the blue was what I used for the binding, and the yellow paisley is what covers the back.
The best part about this project is that I used an old bed pillow for the inserts. It was flat in the middle–I bought a new one months ago, and the old one just sat on the floor for the duration. Last weekend I used a pair of scissors to slice it in half as cleanly as possible, and I simply shoved each half into a casing. It was a little messy with fuzzies everywhere, but it cleaned up easy enough. I was glad to rescue the pillow from the landfill and really pleased with how these turned out. Plus I put a tiny dent in my stash! Always a plus.